OPP investigating family of TikTok video mockery in reference to London, Ontario attack
Ontario Provincial Police are investigating after a TikTok video allegedly recorded in the town of Minto appears to mock a local family and refers to the man charged in the fatal attack on a Muslim family in London .
Wellington County OPP Kirk MacDonald told CBC KW on Friday that police were aware of the video posted online and were in the early stages of the investigation, so they could not provide more details for now.
The video appears to have been shot from inside a house, looking out a window as a family of three walks down the street.
In a joint statement, Minto Mayor George Bridge and Wellington County Director Kelly Linton said the video was “obnoxious.”
“Islamophobia and all forms of racism have no place in our community,” the statement said.
In the video, as a family walks along the sidewalk, a man is heard saying, “Where’s Nathaniel Veltman when you need him?
When a truck passes by, the person says, “My buddy, you missed them. Step back. The video ends with the person laughing.
“It’s abnormal,” says the mayor of the video
Veltman, 20, was charged Monday with four counts of first degree murder and one count of attempted murder in a hit and run that left four dead and a boy in hospital. London police said they believe he targeted the family because of his Muslim faith.
“It’s pretty disturbing for someone to have that thought process and then put it on a video and send it out there,” Bridge told CBC News.
The mayor said the video had been widely condemned on social media and did not reflect the views of most Minto residents.
“We don’t want this thing to be seen as the norm. It’s abnormal.”
NCCM chief cites systemic issues
Mustafa Farooq, CEO of the National Council of Canadian Muslims (NCCM), said the video “reminds us, once again, once again, once again, that there is a serious problem and that must be addressed. systemically “.
Farooq said his organization is working with law enforcement and social media platforms to respond to disturbing content posted online.
In recent days, he said, the organization has learned of “a number of people who have celebrated the London bombing”.
The NCCM also received reports of people being harassed in London in connection with the attack, Farooq said, adding that the council had also received emails from people claiming the incident was justified.
“It’s part of what we expect,” he said, shaking his head.
“The vast majority of Canadians respond with support, but you have a segment that celebrates that stuff or looks the other way.”