Mickey Callaway of Angels Accused of Inappropriate Behavior
Los Angeles Angels pitching coach Mickey Callaway “aggressively pursued” several women working in sports media and sent them three inappropriate photos, sports news site Athletic reported on Monday.
Callaway, a former New York Mets manager, sent uninvited and sometimes unanswered messages to women via email, text or social media and asked them to send nude photos back, according to the report. He often commented on their appearance in a way that made them uncomfortable and on one occasion “pushed his crotch close to a reporter’s face” as she interviewed him, the Athletic said.
On another occasion, he told one of the women that he would share information about the Mets if she got drunk with him, according to the report. More than one woman received one or more shirtless selfies from him, and one said he massaged her shoulders in the canoe when he thought no one was watching, according to the report.
Five women who spoke to Athletic on condition of anonymity said Callaway’s actions lasted at least five years and his tenure on three teams, the website reported. Two of the women said they were warned of Callaway’s behavior by other members of the media and other baseball players, the Athletic said.
Callaway coached the Cleveland Indians for five years before leading the Mets in 2018-19. After being fired by the Mets, he spent last season with the Angels as a pitching coach.
“Rather than rushing to respond to these general allegations I have just been made aware of, I look forward to the opportunity to provide more specific responses,” Callaway, 45, wrote to Athletic in response to an email, depending on exit. “Any relationship I have been engaged in has been consensual and my conduct was in no way intended to be disrespectful to the women involved. I am married and my wife has been made aware of these general allegations.
Callaway did not respond to a text message from The Associated Press.
In a statement, Angels spokeswoman Marie Garvey said: “The reported behavior violates the values and policies of the Angels Organization. We take this very seriously and will conduct a full investigation with the MLB. “
The Indians also released a statement, saying the team “is currently reviewing the matter internally and in consultation with Major League Baseball to determine the appropriate next steps. Our organization does not unequivocally tolerate this type of behavior. We seek to create an inclusive work environment where everyone, regardless of gender, can feel safe and comfortable doing their job.
Athletic’s report on Callaway came two weeks after ESPN detailed sexually explicit and uninvited text messages and images sent by former Mets general manager Jared Porter to a female journalist in 2016 while working for the Chicago Cubs in their front office. Porter was fired by the Mets the next morning and Major League Baseball planned to investigate him.
Mets president Sandy Alderson, who hired Porter, was the team’s general manager when Callaway was hired.
According to the report, the Mets told Athletic the club learned in August 2018 of an incident that occurred before Callaway joined the team. A spokesperson said the club had investigated but “refused to reveal the nature of the incident, the outcome of that investigation or whether Callaway had been sanctioned,” the Athletic said.
Callaway led the Mets until the end of the 2019 season. Alderson stepped down as general manager in June 2018 due to a cancer diagnosis and bad play by the team. He was brought back as team president in November 2020 by new owner Steve Cohen.
“I was appalled at the actions reported today by former manager Mickey Callaway,” Alderson said in a statement released by the Mets late Monday night. “I was not aware of the conduct described in the story when Mickey was hired or at any time during my tenure as CEO. We have already started a review of our hiring processes to ensure that our selection of new employees is more thorough and complete. “
Cohen, who bought the club from the Wilpon and Katz families in early November, said: “The conduct reported in Athletic history today is totally unacceptable and would never be tolerated under my ownership.”
MLB said it “had never been made aware of any allegations of sexually inappropriate behavior on the part of Mickey Callaway.”